Monday, January 28, 2013

:: motivation ::

I've been keeping track of my calories these past few days, even though I haven't posted them (*looks* wow, it has been awhile). Between the laptop and my desktop I'm unsure which days are which, but I made sure I was under 2500 Calories, and tended to stay around 2000.

Yesterday I ordered pizza. Here's what the day turned into:

Breakfast:
Cereal: 320

Lunch:
Pizza (3 slices): 900

Dinner:
Pizza (2 slices): 620

Snacks:
1 Rice cake: 50
1 TBSP PB: 80
1 TBSP GJ: 10
Milk: 90

Cheese: 110
Meat: 100

Total: 2280

We also went to Maui Wowi for smoothies two days in a row, and the 20 oz. Hawaiian Breeze I drank was 357 Calories so I'm fairly pleased with that.

But that's not what I'm writing this post about. Through some twisted trail of YouTube magic, I ended up watching an episode of Supersize vs Superskinny. And now I'm in a bit of delirium.


If you haven't seen the show (which airs and primarily takes place in the UK but focuses on the US as well), I will warn you first that the episode I watched included some shock tactics (showing severe results from obesity and bad eating habits). Though a doctor is present on the show, it is obviously made for viewers and not just a documentary, so one segment shows a super-sized person and his/her superskinny partner switching meals and seeing how they each deal with the new food portions and tastes. But it isn't simply a show meant to amuse. It is a show meant to wake us up.

"Outsized" caskets are now being sold. The ones shown in the episode I watched could hold three (assumedly averaged-sized) people, and can take up 2-3 burial plots. In 1990, this industry didn't even exist.

As tasty as my pizza is, or those nachos are... such foods are slowly killing me. That's not to say moderation isn't key. I didn't glom down a whole large pizza, and chose thin crust instead of pan or stuffed. But I must change my eating habits or I may not even have children, much less live to see them grow into adulthood.

I've been doing better in that department. I'm staying under 2500 Calories (and hoping to average around 2000 C daily), and not eating as much junk (though I've had donuts and diet soda, which I'd like to end up being 'special occasion' luxuries). Now I need to work on exercise.

I have a YouTube playlist with a few workout videos I plan to begin soon, once I find a good space to use. I've also considered using the barn porch when it gets warmer -- I'll set up the laptop on a desk and utilize the space and fresh air (and privacy fence :)). This just to break up the monotony of walking for 30 mins. The key and bottom line: I must start moving.

What is your favorite exercise? Something you do, even if nothing else goes right that day. A walk? Pick-up sports game? Maybe bike riding?

2 comments:

  1. Wing Chun is my new favorite. It feels so good not only to get my body moving but also to get my chi working - yes I am a superstitious fool that believes in energies and all that stuff.

    Other than that...I like digging holes looking for gold. I L O V E hiking in the hills - one of the first things that helped me fall in love with Idaho. Swimming is ULTIMATE...I *will* swim more this summer!

    Good to see you doing well and keeping up with your foods. Its amazing how much just paying more attention to what we put in our mouths can really make a difference. Keep up the great work Miss Bri!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mr. Hinsel, for the inspiration and comment!

      I love swimming, and really want to get Andrew and I involved in swimming this summer. Do you go to a lake, public pool, or gym?

      Delete